Education and Post Doctoral Training:
- Degree in Medicina e Chirurgia 1990, Università degli Studi di Milano;
- Specialty in Neurosurgery, 1995, Università degli Studi di Milano;
- Fellow, INSERM Unit 0113 (0920) Molecular Mechanisms of Angiogenesis, University of Bordeaux I, 1996
- Fellow in Neurosurgery, Neurosurgery, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston,1997-2000;
- Brain Tumor Fellow, Neurosurgery, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, 2001-2002;
- Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery, Università degli Studi di Milano, 2003-2005
- Associate Professor of Neurosurgery, Università degli Studi di Milano, 2005;
2003-2010: Neurosurgery, università degli Studi di Milano, Fondazione Ca’ Granda, IRCCS
2011-: Director of Neurooncological Surgery, Neurosurgery, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Milano
Other professional position and Visiting Appointments
- Recipient of CNR Fellowship for Research in Foreign Countries (US), 1997-1998
- Visiting Professor, Neurosurgery, UCSF; 2005; Visiting Professor, Neurosurgery, University of Paris, Hopital Beaujon, Clichy (Prof Kalamarides), 2006; Visiting Professor of Neurosurgery, University of Cambrigde
Awards and Honors
1995 Beniamino Guidetti Prize
1997 CNR, Neurooncology
Major Committee Assignements
- Codirector ELAT (European Laboratory for Angiogenesis and Translational Research, INSERM -Unimi).
- Director for Brain mapping group and Surgical Epilepsy Group of the University of Milano; - Member of Executive Board of DDEP (dipartimento di diagnostica epilettologica pre operatoria);
Memberships, Offices and Committee Assignements in Professional Societes
1993- Italian Association for Neuro Oncology
1994- European Association for NeuroOncology
2004- Società Italiana di Neurochirurgia
2006-2008 Member EANO Board; Member EANS Neurooncology Committee;
Member EANS Research Committee; Co-director of Functional Imaging Subgroup European LGG Network.
Summary of Clinical and Research Activities
The Clinical activity has been mainly focused in neuro oncology. For surgery, the following major fields have been pursued: a) image guided surgery; b) brain mapping; c) surgical treatment of epilepsy. A large clinical research activity on these topics has been performed
The experimental research activity has been mainly focused on angiogenesis and invasion in gliomas.
Motor and language DTI Fiber Tracking combined with intraoperative subcortical mapping for surgical removal of gliomas.
Bello L, Gambini A, Castellano A, Carrabba G, Acerbi F, Fava E, Giussani C, Cadioli M, Blasi V, Casarotti A, Papagno C, Gupta AK, Gaini S, Scotti G, Falini A.
Neuroimage. 2008 Jan 1;39(1):369-82.
What is the role of the uncinate fasciculus? Surgical removal and proper name retrieval.
Papagno C, Miracapillo C, Casarotti A, Romero Lauro LJ, Castellano A, Falini A, Casaceli G, Fava E, Bello L.
Brain. 2011 Feb;134(Pt 2):405-14. doi: 10.1093/brain/awq283.
Tailoring neurophysiological strategies with clinical context enhances resection and safety and expands indications in gliomas involving motor pathways.
Bello L, Riva M, Fava E, Ferpozzi V, Castellano A, Raneri F, Pessina F, Bizzi A, Falini A, Cerri G.
Neuro Oncol. 2014 Aug;16(8):1110-28. doi: 10.1093/neuonc/not327.