from December 2011
Consultant at the Division and Clinic of Neurosurgery, Spedali Civili and University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
Graduated “cum laude” at the Medical Faculty of the Second University of Naples.
Residency in Neurosurgery at the Clinic of Neurosurgery, University of Genoa.
November 2005- April 2006
Awake surgery and brain mapping for cerebral tumors in eloquent areas. Prof. H. Duffau, Neurosurgery
Division, Pitié-Salpêtrière Hospital, Paris, France
HOSPITAL & TEACHING APPOINTMENTS
May 2003- May 2004
Junior Consultant at the Pediatric Neurosurgical Division, G. Gaslini Institute, Genoa, Italy
October 2004 to October 2005
Junior Consultant at the Clinic of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of Geneva, Switzerland
June 2006- November 2011
Consultant at the Division of Neurosurgery, Civil Hospital, Alessandria, Italy
from September 2013
Contract professor at the Neurosurgery training program of the University of Milan
from July 2014
Hospital acknowledgment as skull base expert surgeon
SURGICAL AND CLINICAL INTERESTS
- Glioma surgery with extensive experience in awake surgery and direct brain mapping
- Posterior fossa tumors surgery (routine collaboration with ENT team for lateral skull base approaches)
- Chiari malformation and syringomyelia surgery
Dr. Spena published more then 50 internationally indexed scientific papers.
1. Giannantonio Spena, Antonio Pepoli, Marcella Bruno, Federico D’Agata, Franco Cauda, Katiuscia Sacco,
Sergio Duca and Pietro Versari (2011). Multimodal Approach to the Surgical Removal of Gliomas in Eloquent
Brain Regions, Advances in the Biology, Imaging and Therapies for Glioblastoma, Prof. Clark Chen
(Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-307-284-5, InTech, DOI: 10.5772/24446.
2. Trattamento chirurgico: derivazione ventricolo-peritoneale e ventricolo-atriale.
In Idrocefalo normoteso I edizione (2016) PANCIANI P. P., FONTANELLA M. M.
3. Management of Chiari Malformation. In “Surgery of the Cranio-Vertebral Junction”, Tessitore/Dehdashti/Schonauer/Thome. Springer, In press
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Journal of Neurosurgical Sciences
- Italian Society of Neurosurgery (SINCH)
- European association of neurosurgical societies (EANS)
- Congress of Neurological Surgeon (CNS)
- Section on Tumors (American association of neurological surgeons, AANS)
Co-founder of UpSurgeons the first educational platform dedicated to neurosurgery and neuroanatomy
- Dr. Spena is passionale about music and plays classical and electric guitar
- He collects wines and loves cooking