Roberto Delfini was born in Rome on January 5th 1948 . He began his studies in Verona, where he had moved with his family, at the classical lyceum Tarquato Tasso . In 1972 he graduated in Medicine and Surgery at Rome “Sapienza” University.
In 1979 he became Specialist in Neurosurgery with the maximum grade at the same university in the Residency program headed Prof. Beniamino Guidetti . Soon after, in 1973 , he left Rome to follow Professor Giampaolo Cantore to Siena , collaborating with him in the creation of a neurosurgery division in the Santa Maria della Scala hospital.
His neurosurgical career really began in Siena, firstly in the role of Assistant : in 1978 he obtained the role of University Researcher and returned to his native city with Prof. Giampaolo Cantore , who had been called back to Rome University to become Chief of the newly instituted Neurotraumatology Division.
In 1988 he became Associate Professor and in 1997 Full Professor of Neurosurgery , following in Prof. Cantore’s footsteps , first as Chief of the Chair of Neurotraumatology and then of the 1st Chair of
Neurosurgery, a role he still holds today .
His current positions include :
• Chairman of the Nominating Committee of the World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies
• Director of the Residency Program in Neurosurgery , Rome “Sapienza” University
• President of the Italian College of University Professors of Neurosurgery.
In 2003 he became Chief of the Residency Program in Neurosurgery of Rome “Sapienza” University.
Roberto Delfini has published more than 400 scientific papers, mostly in International Journals . He is the author of many chapters in national and international neuosurgical textbooks and has taken part as invited speaker in numerous scientific events in Italy and all over the world.
Earlier in his career , he spent some time in highly qualified neurosurgical centers around the world to perfect his neurosurgical skills , for example:
• Neurosurgical Clinic, Hannover School of medicine
• First Surgical Clinic, University of Vienna
• ORL Division , University of Zurich
• Department of Neurosurgery, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm
• Department of Neurosurgery, Ospedale Civile Maggiore , Verona
• Department of Neurosurgery , Mayo Clinic, Rochester
• Department of Neurosurgery, University of Western Ontario
• Department of Neurosurgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
• Department of Neurosurgery, Krankenhaus Nordstadt, Hannover
• Department of Neurological Surgery, George Washington University Medical Center
• Department of Neurosurgery, Hopital Lariboisière, Parigi
• Sunrise Hospital, Las Vegas
As first operator, he has carried out more than 11,500 operations covering all fields of neurosurgery and neurotraumatology.
His main fields of interest include surgery of intracranial tumors in general and those of the skull base in particular; surgical treatment of cerebral and medullary vascular malformations; surgery for neoplastic ,
degenerative and traumatic conditions of the spine.
Within the Italian Society of Neurosurgery , in which he has always played an active role, he has held the posts of Executive Council Member, Treasurer, Secretary and , most recently, President.
He is a member of many national and international societies of Neurosurgery and related disciplines as well as being an elected member of the World Academy of Neurosurgeons. In 2014 he received the Bonifacio VIII award for his social dedication in the field of Medicine.
Roberto Delfini has been married to his wife Rosella since 1971 : they have two daughters , Lavinia and Claudia and four marvellous grandchildren. In his free time , he likes to travel, play tennis and go to the cinema , and to entertain friends for whom he loves to cook.